“An Applied Study on AMOC Petroleum Company”
The world is experiencing quick developments and changes in the fields of development and improvement in all public and private sectors, which result in facing the administrations of the organizations itself challenges to follow modern administrative methods that enable it to keep pace with development and continuous improvement.
One of the most important of these methods is the total management of the quality, which enables the organizations to continue achieving the desired success. But these organizations was supposed to create a new organizational culture consistent with the overall quality management that consider one of the most important challenges facing any organization willing to make a change.
The overall quality management is also consider the most intellectual entrance that linked to the organizational culture, and the success of applying the approach of total quality management depends on the creation of organizational culture within an organization in order to comply with the successful and effective implementation requirements of the quality management, and so as not to collide at any process of its progression with rejection or obstacles.
This organizational culture which affects primarily on individual performance within organizations and enables them to achieve high productivity includes the customs, traditions, values and beliefs that control the behavior of individuals and groups within the organization, in the sense that the performance efficiency is due in the first class to the organizational culture within the organization. So, if the organization has a culture influence the thoughts and behaviors of individuals, it will be able to form ideals and Pacemaker for other people in addition to achieving a competitive position among other organizations.
Given the importance of the role of organizational culture in identifying trends and values of employees and the proportion of their satisfaction with their work within their organizations and companies, we will study in this research the prevailing organizational culture within the well-known Petroleum Company “ Alexandria mineral oils (AMOC) “ and the impact of this culture on applying the overall quality management in order to make use of the strengths in culture regulatory of the company.
Second: The research problem:
The problem of the research is that the organizational culture considers one of the non-tangible aspects which are difficult to measure. However, it is one of the most important factors that effects on the performance of employees, the work systems and performance within the company and its effects are evident in the ways of problem solving and decision-making. So, it was necessary to study it because it is considered a main key in applying the overall quality management within the company through a few questions the most important of it is the organizational culture of AMOC and how it is suitable for the implementation of the total quality management. Another question in the study is talking about the role of senior management to support the implementation of the total quality management.
Third: The objective of this research:
The research aims to identify the impact of the organizational culture on total quality management which can take place through:
- Identify the prevailing values that forming the organizational culture within AMOC.
- Identify the extent contribution of the organizational culture that prevailing within the company for applying the total quality management.
- Identify the cultural constraints over the personnel’s commitment to implement the total quality management.
- Make proposals and recommendations for AMOC with respect to the subject of research.
Fourth: research hypotheses:
– The main hypothesis is: “There is a significant Intangible correlation of the organizational culture on the employee’s commitment to implement total quality management”
And emerge from this main hypothesis six sub-hypotheses.
Fifth: The importance of the research:
This research provides an Arab reference that can be added to the Egyptian libraries because there is a scarcity in Arab studies on the concept of organizational culture and its relationship to the overall quality management in the petroleum industry companies which seems so obvious from a review of Arab Researches and Studies in this field that there is an urgent need for additional studies, as the oil considers one of the strategic industries which have its privacy and play an important role in economic development and the previous studies limited to the service and banking institutions only.
The implementation importance:
- Access to practical proposals that could benefit from being one of the first researches that addresses the reality of implementing the total quality management in light of the prevailing organizational culture in the Egyptian petroleum companies in general and for AMOC in particular.
- It’s an addition after analyzing and monitoring the affecting on the effectiveness of implementing the total quality management like the prevailing organizational culture within the Egyptian petroleum companies.
Sixth: The Research Results:
The research raised a set of questions and hypotheses related to the impact of the organizational culture on the total quality management, and the research reached a number of results, the most important of it was as following:
The existence of an Intangible effect for the organizational culture on the total quality management which qualifies to accept the validity of the main hypothesis and its sub-assumptions with the priority of the senior management support with the 0.712 correlation co-efficient followed by a continuous training and then the participation of the employees in decision-making then the continuous improvement and focusing on the client then finally the formation of the work teams.
In the light of the results of the research reached, the researcher proposed a set of recommendations in the field of implementation:
- The importance of improving and developing the creative and innovative capabilities of the employees from the senior management so that they can be able to generate creative ideas that help in developing the level of performance.
- Activate the training programs that include the basic principles and requirements of Total Quality Management.
- Activate cooperation and participation through working groups away from centralization in decision-making.
- Establish an information system that provides all financial, administrative and technical data to allow managers making sound decisions based on correct information.
- Providing and approving financial allocations for investment in the total quality management.
- Allocate the necessary time to train employees and hold periodic meetings to work on the implementation of the total quality management.
- Seeking help from the specialized offices to provide consulting services in the field of total quality and design plans for the process of improvement and assisting in the implementation process.
- Establishing a management or organizational unit for the total quality that is directly related to the company’s chairman and Its task will be to discuss issues related to the quality and daily problems they are facing with submitting proposals to solve these problems and to periodically report on what has been approved in neutral to the chairman of the company.
- Link the system of bonuses and wages with the key performance indicator and the achievement of targets.
- Dedication to the continuous evaluation of the organizational culture elements.
- The need of employee’s involvement in decision-making, setting goals, and shaping policies and future directions of the company, which supports the values of recognition and appreciation of the employee and increases the sense of belonging and loyalty.
Recommendations for researchers and future studies:
Re-applying the current research on other petroleum companies for further diversify and benefit at the level of the petroleum sector, and to verify the results and conduct comparative studies.